therenamer.com (FORUM CLOSED, CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS)

Awesome Simple Best TV Show Renamer .....with Episode Titles!
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Remove empty folders
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Depends.
I can only remove the season folder when the season folder name matches the way the Season folder is set in theRenamer.
Can u post a sample?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:12 pm 

What kind of example do you mean?

What I usually do is download to my internal drive "D:"
Unseen episodes go to "D:\Unseen\" and I then have theRenamer move the ones I watched to "D:\Done\".

Then, every few days I will run theRenamer and have those files moved to an external drive "X:\".
Of course "D:\Done" will have subdirectories created by theRenamer in accordance to it's renaming settings. Say
-> D:\ -> Done -> The Office -> The Office Season 7

After moving all the files from "The Office Season 7" that folder is deleted. But although there are no more files or folders in the folder "The Office", it is not deleted.
So unless I clean up the directory "Done" by hand, I will have lots of show-folders with absolutely no content piling up.

This is of course just an example. It's worse if say I have an external drive with 100 shows and I want to move them all to a different backup-drive. I will be left with 100 folders to check to see if any files were not moved and which of the show-folders are empty and which aren't.
If the empty ones were deleted I would be left with only folders that actually still have something inside them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 pm 

Is there any way to stop removing folders, especially so aggressively?

Whenever I get new media (generally via ripping my own), I place it in an "unsorted" directory structure:

\unsorted
\unsorted\tv
\unsorted\movies
\unsorted\books
\unsorted\music

I'll then use whatever tool is appropriate to rename and sort them into their proper places (TheRenamer for TV/Movies, Calibre for Books, a variety of stuff for music). Most of the time, these directories are empty - my ripping programs dump stuff into the appropriate "unsorted" subfolder and then I use a naming/sorting tool and expect the folders just to be emptied, not deleted.

TheRenamer is hyper-aggressive here. When I point it to \unsorted\movies in Movie mode, it not only deletes that folder, but every folder within "unsorted" (tv, books, music) including the parent (unsorted). This is highly annoying - I have to recreate the directory structure any time I rip a movie.

Can this be turned off? Please?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:55 am 
Site Admin

sorry, no it can't. (or rather would need another setting just for that)
For now, when a folder is 0 bytes, it will remove it self.

You could add a simple txt file with something in side. This will prevent theRenamer from removing that folder.